2. Click Admin, at the bottom left, below the list of reports in the report navigation, and navigate to the desired view (Analytics lets you have multiple accounts. Each account can have multiple properties, and each property can have many views)
3. In the VIEW column, click Goals.
4. Click + NEW GOAL to create a new goal. Note: If + NEW GOAL is not visible, this means you have already created the maximum of 20 goals for the current view.
5. Give your goal a name.
6. Select Event from the list of options.
7. Click Continue to set up your goal details.
8. Set the event conditions. An Event has the following components: Category, Action, Label (optional, but recommended), Value (optional). For each component (at least for the first two) you need to add value, and these values will display in your reports. You can read more about events here. For our customer we added:
9. Turn the Use the Event value as the Goal Value toggle to Yes and click Save
Goals can NOT be deleted. Because goal conversions are calculated and applied as your data is processed, it is not possible to delete a goal. If one of your goals becomes obsolete or irrelevant, turn off recording instead. This can be done by changing the recording status to OFF.
10. All that is left for you to do is add the relevant code to your thank-you page note. Remember that the event script should be running as part of the thank you note.
The code should be added as shown here. Make sure to change the Tracking ID (UA code) to your own. The code can be found by going to Admin -> Tracking Info -> Tracking Code -> Tracking ID. In this example you can see that the Event Conditions we chose to use in the Goal details are used herein the script ( ‘event’, ‘Form’, ‘Fill_Out’, ‘Scan_to_SAP’), you will need to change it to the one you set.
For our client who was using the marketing automation system, we pasted the code in Conversion Code Head (the addition is in bold below), while the regular Analytics code is located in Tracking Code Head in all the relevant pages.